Coffee is a very important part of Arabic hospitality. Serving coffee to guests and visitors as soon as they arrive is part of the traditional ‘marhaba’ welcome ritual in the Middle East, whether at informal gatherings of formal meetings and events. It’s not just the great coffee people love, coffee shops in Dubai have become an integral part of the city’s social scene with independent coffeeshops flourishing across all parts of town, from busy commercial centers to local residential communities. Many of Dubai’s coffee shops offer far more than just coffee including workspace for entrepreneurs, free wifi, kids play areas as well as magazines and books for people to enjoy.
In Dubai, you can drink coffee at any time of the day. Many of the city’s coffee shops are open from early morning right until closing time of the shops and malls late at night.
Dubai is home to many of the world’s most well-known global chains such as Starbucks, Costa Coffee, Café Nero and Tim Hortons, but it’s ever-growing and flourishing scene of local home-grown coffee concepts is super exciting and definitely not to be missed on your next trip to Dubai with POCO Pocket Concierge.
We’ve rounded up five unique local coffee shop experiences in Dubai for you to try when you’re next in town:
- RAW Coffee Company – Not your regular Dubai coffee shop, but a coffee roastery as well! A great opportunity to sample single origin coffee sourced directly from farmers. You can tour the roastery and even take a barista class! ‘Local, Ethical and Direct’ is what RAW Coffee company stands for, well worth a visit POCOs
- Comptoir 102 – More than just a coffee shop in Dubai, this boho-chic cafe is one of the best concept stores in the Emirates that incorporates a healthy café that serves wholesome, sustainable food to nourish both body and soul. A great choice for those looking for gluten-and dairy-free choices as well as vegan options.
- XVA Art Café – One of Dubai’s hidden gems, this café is a fusion of the rich art and heritage of Dubai. Part of one of Dubai’s leading boutique hotels with just 14 rooms, the XVA Art Café is located in the heart of Dubai’s historical Al Fahidi district and offers a menu of Middle Eastern inspired vegetarian dishes in a beautiful and unique courtyard setting
- The Espresso Lab – a smart café and coffee roastery located in the hip and happening Dubai Design District. This cafe by Emirati entrepreneur Ibrahim Al Mallouhi, serves an amazing range of specialty coffees made by award-winning master baristas. You can buy your coffee and coffee gadgets from their specialty shop as well
- The Green Planet Café – located in the Green Planet – a fun and educational tropical indoor bio dome in Dubai that features 3,000 tropical plants and animals – this rainforest-themed café is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner
Want to know more about the history and role of coffee in the Arabic culture? Why not visit the Coffee Museum in Dubai on your next trip. The museum showcases coffee cultures around the world and entry is free.